Saturday, September 21, 2013

Happy to be on the Ground in Kenya

I made it to Kenya in one piece… barely.  Here is a picture of me getting ready for my trip last night:

As you can see, I was happy, smiling and overall just projecting an expression of excitement as I was looking forward to my trip.  Here is a picture of me when I arrived in Kenya this morning:
I’m not sure if that picture needs a caption, as I think my expression and purple hue says it all.
Needless to say it was a rough trip.  I wasn’t particularly thrilled with the idea of a 1am flight in the first place, but since that was my only option I took it.  The nice thing was that when I arrived at the Botswana airport I realized one of my neighbors was on the same flight.  We sat and talked until the flight boarded, so it was nice to have someone to visit with and since he’s from Ethiopia he gave me a lot of suggestions about where I can visit there.

After boarding the plane I looked in the seat pocket in front of me and saw this on the air sickness bags:

I thought it was a nice attempt to be funny.  Little did I know that those bags would be used so frequently on that flight by those around me.  The turbulence was terrible for the majority of the flight.  I don’t generally have problems flying but my stomach was pretty uneasy.  Since I couldn’t sleep and I felt like I was on a never-ending roller coaster ride, I was thankful that Kenya Airways had individual tvs at each seat.  That was a very pleasant surprise.  I ended up watching Gatsby (the new one with Leonardo DiCaprio) until I finally fell asleep.  In the end I think I only got about an hour of sleep on the plane, but fortunately, when I arrived at my hotel around 8am I was able to check in right away. 
I have to say, that is one thing I really appreciate here in Africa.  In the US it is practically impossible to check in to a hotel before the posted time, even if they have a room open. If check-in is at 3pm you are lucky if you can get a room by 1 or 2.  But here, if there is a room available you can have it, no matter how early you arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment