Friday, February 21, 2014

Hiking Table Mountain

Since I am here in Cape Town, home of Table Mountain, one of the New Seven Wonders of the Natural World, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see it.  Actually, I can see it from my guesthouse, but I wanted to visit because it is billed as giving the best views of Cape Town.  You can take a two minute cable car ride up to the top, but I decided to take the hard way up.  So I spent four hours this morning hiking up the mountain.  Aside from a few cuts and bruises sustained while scrambling up the rock face, I had a great time:
Here you can see the cable car (i.e. the easy way up) in the background:
These are the Twelve Apostles, which is a misleading name as there are really seventeen cliffs, though you can’t see them all clearly in this picture:
View of Cape Town from about a quarter of the way up the mountain:
Once we reached the top there were two ways to descend, the easy way, and the not so easy way:

4 comments: